Sunday 13 December 2009

Sinister Encounter

On Thursday 10th December I had the displeasure of encountering “Lord Monckton” the internet-renowned climate denier, just after he had been hounding the US youth. It was a dramatic and unsettling experience.

I had heard that this self-aggrandised 'Lord' had been caught on camera the day before describing the environmental youth from the US as “Hitler Youth” (the footage can be found on youtube). This comment was clearly despicable and gives some indication of his own lack of integrity.

Despite this, I decided to approach him in the conference, just after he had been deliberately hassling a Professor from Copenhagen University who studies ice sheets. I quietly asked him; “Do you ever think about the future generations?” I cannot recall the whole conversation but it went something like this...

He replied to my question with a comment about biofuels, arguing that poverty in Africa had been made worse by the biofuels crisis. I replied by responding that I agreed that biofuels have so far caused problems; and asked again if he would please answer my question concerning sustainability.

During the conversation, he became quite livid and noticeably agitated. Camera's and press started popping up all around. I began to quiz him about climate science, during which time he argued he was “a scientist who had long-studied much research on climate science” and had accumulated research proving the climate was insensitive to greenhouse gases because of the “ocean buffer”. (Later on, I looked on his wikipedia page to note that he does not have training in science, in fact he studied Classics at Cambridge.)

Luckily, I have been revising climatic science for exams next week; so quickly remembered some facts about the other greenhouse gases – what about Nitrous Oxide and Methane? He stated that Methane concentrations have stabilised since 2000.

He also claimed that the temperature had increased by 3 degrees between 1600 and 1675 (he became confused later in the conversation and described this as a period of 40 years). At this exact moment, a youth delegate with a laptop brought up the IPCC climate graph, and the screen showed him the temperature change had been around 0.2C in this period. He looked noticeably embarrassed but quickly said; “Oh, but that is the hockey-stick graph which is obviously wrong”.

As the conversation continued, he appeared eager to persuade me to his point of view so I feigned interest. He spoke frantically, jumping from point to point, and shut out anyone else's comments, including my own, but seemed very keen to hear his own voice. He went on a long tirade about the methods used to collect data, including something about “measuring temperatures above the Amazon forest” from aeroplanes.

I asked him what he thought about renewable energy; and he argued that wind turbines “slice birds out of the sky”...“there is a website full of pictures”. I pondered whether his random opposition to wind turbines actually demonstrates his real agenda in support of fossil fuels (rather than having anything to do with climate change...).

Finally, I pointedly asked him; “Who was funding him to be at the Conference?” He immediately said that he was funding himself out of his own pocket. Then, I asked him whether he knew that a Petroleum lobbyist had previously influenced the climate reports in the USA. He said “I wrote to the New York Times about that... it was completely inaccurate”. I asked why he had felt the need to write to a newspaper in support of oil interests? Had they paid him to do that by any chance?

At this point, Monckton looked deeply uncomfortable and stuttered “oh, I can't remember what company it was, I thought it was a coal company”. (How funny, I wondered, that he could not remember....!)

It also makes me wonder also why he was specifically targeting the US Youth Climate campaigners.

What I found most troubling about my encounter with this odd man was that he was being followed by two young minions, who looked about 20 years old, with badges that said “Americans for Prosperity”. One of these minions had the most annoyingly smug expression I have ever seen in my life. The cameras dispersed, and so, immediately, did Monckton. There were thousands of young environmental campaigners at the conference. Yet seeing these few young 'anti-environmental' campaigners, who were there with Monckton, was deeply unsettling.

What I found mostly disturbing is that Monckton was claiming to speak on behalf of developing nations affected by biofuels. He was using this to feign an ethical standpoint. However, this is the same man that once wrote an article claiming that all people with AIDS should be segregated! Scary stuff. I am at a loss for words why some of 'trolls' on the internet actually believe him. They are using every PR trick and electronic medium they can to promote denial theories on the internet; which might indicate the kind of resources they have behind them.

No comments: